Friday, January 16, 2009

2 weeks to go, but who's counting.......




In 14 days The Coastal Challenge will start. I am so excited! I have begun packing my Action Packer, a large 24 gallon box that will serve as my suitcase with everything that I will need for the race put in it. Today I bought a tent and a travel alarm clock. I think I have enough food and I am trying to be good and only bring a few different running clothes. I should be able to rinse out my dirty clothes and re wear them so I don't over pack. Decisions, decisions, decisions. It's hard to figure out what exactly to bring when I have had no experience with anything like this.

Yesterday, Karen and I ran at Rodeo Beach in the Marin Headlands. We ran for almost 3 hours and it was a gorgeous day for the middle of January. We both wore short sleeve tops and never once felt cold. The sky was clear and the ocean just sparkled. About a half mile from the finish, we ran into Rick and John. They had just completed a
40 mile or so run. You know, just a jog in the park. John is running the Rocky Raccoon 100 in 3 weeks. It was nice to run with those guys. Both Rick and John are fast runners who live in San Francisco. They love to run in the Marin Headlands and know these trails like the back of their hands.

Today I went to the gym and did some free weights for a very short 15 minutes. I then got into the pool and swam for another 20 minutes. It felt so good to swim today. It has been months since I have been in the pool, but it felt wonderful. I think today was definitely a rest day.

The Coastal Challenge has a new updated website. Please go to here to check it out.

Suzanna Bon, my "twisted sister", finished the HURT 100 today. She came in as 2nd woman with an awesome time of 30:32! I will have to find out the details about her race as soon as she is conscious enough to talk! Have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Hi Kelly,

How exciting! I thought of you today when I read about this new book "Nature of the Rain
Forest: Costa Rica and Beyond" Here is a link to a youtube slide show about the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wsZTEpHVs&eurl=http://www.the-scientist.com/templates/trackable/display/news.jsp?type=news&o_url=news/display/55341&id=55341&feature=player_embedded

So amazing about Suzanna. Does she have a blog where we can read all about it? I'm sure having you as a training partner helped her too.

Cynthia

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

looks like the last bit of the URL got cut off. It should read
... 55341&id=55341&feature=player_embedded

Hope it works.

kelly said...

Thanks, Cynthia, I will have to check that youtube video out.
Suz doesn't have a blog. I wish she did, but she has yet to join the land of the bloggers. She has been a great training partner. She is my "twisted sister". She is a very driven and gifted athlete. She also happens to be nice too!

Mechelle said...

Well I'm counting because I can't wait to hear/read the full race report! It looks amazing and somehow running somewhere always makes a place more special.

Rick Gaston said...

Kelly it was a pleasure running into you and Karen Saturday. It was meant to be. You called us fast, shucks I'm blushing under my tan. Jon is on his own this weekend though, I told him I'm not getting up at 4AM again this Saturday:)

So we can keep track of you on the new site right? Send you messages and such?