Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Miwok 100k


Saturday I ran the Miwok 100k race in the Marin Headlands just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. This was my 6th running of this race. I started out slow as my plan was to pace myself and finish feeling good. I concentrated on eating and drinking early and often. I held myself back when my friends ran faster than me. I really tried to run a smart race and I succeeded!

The 100k distance (62 miles), is a difficult distance. There is just something so hard about running 62 miles! Why? I don't know. If any of you know the answer, please tell me! My brother Wally paced me the last 20 miles and that was certainly the highlight. It meant a lot to me to have him run with me. He is running his first 50k in July at the TRT. We thought it was important for him to experience an ultra by pacing me. Matt crewed for us and did a great job as always. I finished in 11:32. 14th female and 66th overall. I am happy about my effort there and felt good right up until the end.

I am still a vegetarian. I think it has been about 3 months now. I will continue to eat that way until it doesn't work for me anymore. So far, so good. I can't believe that I haven't even missed a hamburger or a chicken burrito. Thinking about eating meat right now, almost makes me sick. I started this vegetarian thing on a bet with a friend. See messed up after about 3 weeks and I just kept going. I am one of those people who decide something and then I stick with the plan come hell or high water. That's how I stopped drinking alcohol over 27 years ago. I made a New Years resolution to never drink again and that was that! I can be very strong when I put my mind to it. I always am trying to figure out what my "gift" is. Maybe having a strong will power is it. I have always wished it was creativity, beauty, power, charisma, the ability to decorate a room....you know, something I could wrap my hand around. I always laugh and think, well, I do have the gift of gab. I am not a suzie homemaker or creative in anyway, but I can talk to anyone! I am comfortable with people and I have FORTITUDE. Yeah, I guess I do have a few gifts. Oh, and running. That is a gift too. Running is a gift I give myself everyday when I run on the trails and feel the wind in my face.

11 comments:

Deanna Stoppler said...

It's nice to read about things you like about yourself and the things your good at. Makes me feel good just reading it. Thanks Kelly!

Olga said...

Kelly, thanks for the hug, and you ran a great race! I could add a few gifts to the list you have but take my word on it - you are a keeper! BTW, while I didn't go vegetarian fully, I changed my eating a lot about 2 months ago with leaning towards vegetarian (I still can have meat when it's offered kind of thing) - and feel great too! We were just talking this morning on trail about it - healthy eating creaped up on me because 2 of my best girlfriends are committed vegetarian, and I read so much about it too. I don't miss it at all as well, I lost some flab, and I am thinking more eco friendly now!

Lisa B said...

Sure does sound like you ran a smart run at Miwok, Kelly! And to have fun too... doesn't get much better than that. :)

Nice job.

GB said...

Kelly, you are TOUGH! Congratulations on a great 100K. Something I can only dream of!

Doodlestreet said...

The more I get acquainted with your family, the more amazed I am. You all have so many talents and abilities. Shawn and her MANY amazing talents, and when I come to your blog or hear Shawn's stories, I'm impressed with your tenacity. Every time I find a new post on your blog with a running event, the same thing goes thru my head..."Oh man...100 miles....100 miles....100 miles.." See? I said it three times and I still can't get over that!

I read where you are trying the veggie thing. Good for you! I was a vegetarian for ten years...I was a bad vegetarian though. I never ate the right 'protein' types of things. I think that's must be the key. I could only down so many bean burritos... But you're going strong after three months and you don't miss chicken or beef...see! It's that tenacity thing!

kelly said...

Thanks, Deanna for the note! I hope you are doing well.

kelly said...

Olga, you looked great at Miwok. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it! I thought about Alex alot during my run at Miwok. I hope things are doing better. Will I see you at WS?

kelly said...

Hey Lisa, great to hear from you. I miss seeing you out on the trails. I hope things are going good for you. One of these days we need to catch up. Thanks for the note.

kelly said...

No, gb, you are TOUGH! You continually amaze me with your training and strong character. Good luck at Ohlone!

kelly said...

Thanks Doodlestreet! Talk about talent? Your artistic abilities blow me away. I can't even draw a stick figure! Yeah, making sure I get enough protein keeps me busy. I am eating vegetarian to try and be healthier. Hopefully, I will continue to feel like it is doing my body good.

Julie B said...

Hi Kelly, how nice to have your brother pace you the last miles. You must have inspired him to run his first 50K. That's so cool! Great race, you look happy in the pics.