Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Try something New


On Friday, a group of us are flying to Arizona to run the R2R2R at the Grand Canyon. Suzanna and Tamara and I are sharing a room. It's going to be a blast!

On the home front, I have gotten out a few times and run. I am happy to report that my injuries are much, much better. I hope that I have not lost too much conditioning as the Grand Canyon run is extremely tough. My plan is to just take it easy and have fun. I am bringing my new camera and I plan to take a lot of pics. Two years ago when I did this same run, my camera decided to conk out after just a few shots. That was the pits.

Suzanna is training for San Diego 100, and the others are training for Vermont 100. This will be an excellent trainer for both of those races. I always say I am in training when people ask. I wear my hydration pack filled with water and I always imagine how great that must be. Running with all that water weight on my back. Good training, I say. And then I think about it and remember that, well, I'm not really training for anything. I guess I just want to BE READY FOR ANYTHING. What a dork I am. It's kinda like the saying, "all dressed up and no where to go."

I ran an easy 9 miler today with lot's of power walking up some steep trails. I wore my water filled hydration pack and only took a few sips from the tube. Great training, I reminded myself. You must be ready for anything.

TRYING SOMETHING NEW. Unless you walk out into the unknown, the odds of making a profound difference in your life are pretty low. Tom Peters

4 comments:

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I knew you wouldn't be out of action for long! Where was that picture above taken? Neat place!

Have fun at R2R2R!

Cynthia

George Ruiz said...

Kelly a group of us did r2r2r on the 9th. It was a long but awesome day in the canyon. How did it go for you?

kelly said...

Hi Cynthia, that pic was taken at the Palisades near Calistoga. The trail starts in Calistoga and you can go to the top of Mt. St. Helena and back for a hard 31 miler. I haven't done the whole thing, but it would be really hard. How are you doing?

kelly said...

Hey George, It went great! It was very hot and very beautiful! One of my friends either got heat exhaustion or very dehydrated and it took hours for her to get out of the canyon. It was really scary. She couldn't keep anything down and she had the overwhelming urge to lay down and sleep. Not good. How was your run?