Sunday, December 6, 2009

Western States lottery and run

Yesterday was the Western States 100 mile lottery. What a day it was, too. No, I didn't get in, but I enjoyed watching many of my good friends hear their name announced. We all stood, nervous at the back of the room. We anxiously awaited while each name was pulled out of the bucket. I was afraid to use the restroom. I didn't dare leave the room. What if my name was called and I wasn't there to bask in the glory? But, alas, it was not to be. When the last name was called, all I had was plan B. What is plan B, you ask? Heck if I know. I need a few days to figure that one out. I do know that I have lots of friends to train with and that makes me smile. 14 members of Team Diablo will be toeing the line in June for WS. That is really exciting! Everyone of them will be there adequately trained and ready. That is just the way they are. I am proud to be part of that group of runners.


After the lottery, a small group of us went for a run. We started at Robie point and ran to the Hwy. 49 crossing and back. It was a great run and we shared a lot of laughs as usual. I got to meet and run with Amy, an amputee, who was selected in the lottery. She is so excited to run this spectacular race. She was quite an inspiration for all of us. Amy also only has one lung. She lost her leg and a lung to cancer years ago. I hope she has a great race.




"Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still." Chinese proverb

3 comments:

Angela and Jen said...

Wow! Keep us posted on how Amy does in the race and in training. What an amazing lady. And here I am complaining about coming back from a knee surgery!

craig sowash said...

Kelly,
I sent you an email yesterday but not sure it made it...I found your site and it really rocks! I love reading about your adventures - thank you for sharing. It was great to meet you and the rest of the group on Saturday. Hope to see you sometime soon.
Craig

kelly said...

Hey Craig, thanks so much for checking out my blog. I did not get the email yesterday, so I am so glad you commented. It was great to meet and run with you too. I hope to see you out on the trails soon.