Monday, November 5, 2007

Planning ahead for racing


I had a great weekend! The weather was just beautiful and it was warm and it certainly didn't feel like November!! The weekend started on Friday with a great run with Suzanna and Jeff. We did a lot of hill climbing and the sun felt so good on our backs. On Saturday, Karen and I were joined with Bob and Matt and we again ran in our favorite park called Sugarloaf. We saw a large red Fox running up the mountain and enjoyed watching him lope along through the rocks and shrubs. On Sunday, Karen and Bill and I ran at Mt. Tam. We ran 22 miles and the weather was just incredible. Stinson Beach was warm and people covered the sandy beach. It wasn't a fast run but certainly a run that was just what the Doctor ordered. It was "time on my feet", and I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. I am feeling stronger now and am excited to be getting back my strength.

November is a great time for looking ahead and checking out what races might be nice to run. Last year I was plagued with so many problems and raced very little. I would like to race more in 2008. It's fun to think about the adventures that are out there. I sent in my entry for WS 100 this morning. It is exciting to think that there is a possible chance of getting in. If I don't get in, I will pace someone or volunteer there, as I can't imagine not being part of that race in some capacity. Have any of you looked ahead and started to make some tentative racing plans? Soon the weather will be cold and the days shorter. Making some plans now will help keep us motivated to train through the winter. Good luck with your racing plans......

8 comments:

Dave - Atlanta Trails said...

Good luck with getting into WS.

It seems like everyone is starting to put together their '08 plans. I did made some tentative plans as well.

Hopefully I can make it out West for a couple of races as well...

seagull junker said...

whew, that was close. the entries have to be in by novemember 8th. good luck.

if i don't get into states i'll pick a june 100, not sure which one yet.

going to go watch brother try to get another top ten at states for sure. take a load of pictures again.

it's always fun to go to that race weather running/pacing or just watching friends.

kelly said...

Hey Tom, thanks for stopping by. I know, I am a total procrastinator. Nothing like sending in my entry at the last moment. Good luck to you in the lottery!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

ummm might not have raced a lot in 07' Kelly but you had a KICK asss WS100 event ...

SOOO this newbie here has TWO 100's planned for 08' one in May on Eastcoast OD Memorial and then back to the Tetons for FOUR loops--whew GTR 100, this will be insane but since I did the 50 I do have a bit of the lay of land but 4 times up FREDS (10,000) is going to be a great mental test...YES Game is ON :-)

Hope u get back in WS100

Anonymous said...

Kelly's right: Better to have plans for 2008, otherwise it's the ditch.

After a great 2007 Ultra season, I have turned into a SLOTH. Not running much, getting fat, and even listened to some bad country music.

But, Suzanna called yesterday and scolded me for being such a slacker. Even threatened to send out that "guy looking for a running group" on Kelly's site!

Okay, so I'm back in. Going to run with the gang this Friday in Pt. Reyes. And, I even picked up some Hank Williams III tickets. All is well again.

Paul

PS - Good luck to all entered for WS'08. I would end up in Divorce court if I applied! Looking forward to pacing, crewing, etc.

Olga said...

I am always loving making plans for next season - it's almost the best part of the whole season...besides actually the race day itself:)

Carey said...

Kelly,
Sounds like you are recovering quite well! I, too, entered the lottery for WS so perhaps we'll "run" into each other :-) Plans for '08 are coming together; need to get a sub-24 100 miler under my belt so Rocky Raccoon in February, 3 Days of Syllamo in March and then we'll see from there (depends on WS). I definitely want to hit a race in Vermont and at least one in the West next year.
Glad to hear you are doing well,
Carey

kelly said...

Hey Carey, Good luck to you in the lottery! Exciting! If you get into WS you might want to run Miwok 100k or the WS training camp. Both are really valuable runs. I hope you had a great weekend. Thanks for the note.