Friday, November 23, 2007

A Secret To Success

David Bursler, an ultrarunner from Delaware shared this on the Ultralist. Many of you may have read it, but it is worth repeating.

In a casual conversation I had today with a new sales rep servicing
my area of responsibility I made mention of the fact that I run. She
responded by saying "I would like to do that but I can't". I looked her
straight in the eye and without hesitation I said you only can't
because you believe you can't. I repeated the exact words she used in
response to my comment about my running habits and afterwards she seemed
flustered or maybe a better word would be amazed. She immediately
realized that she was putting limits on what she could and could not do. She
walked away after a short 10 minute conversation with me saying she
felt inspired. Mind you I never once went into detail about my history as
a runner but instead focused on her own words she used to describe her
inability to run. The only thing I did was to help her to understand
that she can escape the narrow world she lives in by believing in herself. I have a secret as to how I am able to run but it's a secret that I am willing to reveal. Believe in yourself and never allow doubt to interrupt those feelings of belief. When you look in the mirror each day focus on the pretty smile instead of the big zit that is on your nose. Positive thoughts lead to a positive
outcome. Visualize the best and you will receive the best. It has worked
for me in as a runner and it is a work in progress for me in life but I
can assure you it works everywhere and in every aspect of your life.


"If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right!" Henry Ford

2 comments:

GB said...

*Looking away from the big zit now and focusing on the smile.*

Kelly, great blog entry. You are a very inspirational person, thank you!!!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Happy Turkey Day Weekend Kelly to u and your family!

You are what you think and say...such a believer on our thoughts and we attract what we think about it.

One of my friends who I met up with us after the JFK race said I can't do what you do, it's a genetic thing (sigh))))) I calmly said it's not and then finished my beer and didn't get too much into it, it was getting late and I was beat--LOL