Sunday, August 12, 2007

Happy to be a Bridesmaid!!


Yesterday I ran the Headlands 50 mile in Sausalito, California. It was a beautiful day out there and I highly recommend you putting this on your race calendar for next year. The 50 mile has an elevation gain of 8,160 ft. and is run in the Marin Headlands. With views of Tiburon, San Francisco, and the Golden Gate Bridge, is is not a race to miss.

"Nobody remembers who finished second but the guy who finished second." Bobby Unser

Do you get what I am trying to say? I came in second place!!! I am happy with my finish and I am happy with the effort I put out. My time was 9:01:25, 2nd female and 7th overall. My good friend and fellow Montrail runner finished first!! Her time was 8:43:42, good for 5th finisher overall. Way to go Suzanna Bon!!

In case you are wondering, this picture is not of Suzanna and I. I have felt like this woman looks on many occasions. Yesterday, thankfully was not one of those days. Eating and drinking while racing is quite the art. Recently, ensure, squeezy gels, succeed, water and coke seem to do the trick for me. Solid food tends to make me throw-up and do a lot of unpleasant things. None of which is good while running. I just hope the food thing keeps on working because it has taken years for me to figure this nutritional thing out. My friend Sunny Blende is a sports nutritionist and she even says I'm wierd! Go figure. I

I am planning on taking a couple of rest days from running and then it is time for a few more quality runs before Wasatch.

"If the word quit is part of your vocabulary, then the word finish is likely not."
B.G.Jett

17 comments:

kate said...

I ran my first 50 there Sat., too- and happily finished- a 54 year old grandma! Please tell Bill CONGRATS! I ran a bit with him, he has a great attitude- talked to him going up from T. Valley after he had gotten his feet tpaed, before the first 50 for him- he was so cheery! Tell him hi and I can email him personally if he wants....
katemojo@pacbell.net

kelly said...

How did you like your first 50 mile? Congrats on finishing, I am impressed!! I will tell Bill congrats for you. He is such a nice guy and really fun to run with. Thanks for checking out my blog. Great run, Kate!

kate said...

Thanks, Kelly. My frist 50 was tough. My knees were pretty tired at the end- surprising to me, because they haven't bothered me before, but we had LOTS of hills. I have 4 little grandkis under 4 and a hlaf, and 2 more on the way, and they are keeping me pretty busy and happy (along with lots of other endeavors) so I don't think I will put the time into training for a 50 again. I did one, and am blessed that I could do it.
Yes, please do tell Bill hi...

Anonymous said...

What an awesome bridesmaid you must be!!!!! Congrats Kelly.........again! You always amaze me.......but knowing you I am not surprised.......just proud to know you. Take care of yourself, Valerie

kelly said...

I feel blessed that I am able to run ultra's as well, Kate. Great job, your family must be proud of you!!

kelly said...

Thanks, Val. It's lonely at work when you are not here. See you soon.

Olga said...

Woohoo, Kelly! I looked up results when finished my night run - my friend Rick did a 100M in headlands. Awesome run!

kelly said...

Thanks Olga!! Congrats on your great night run. You are awesome and TOUGH!! Way to hang in there.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Awesome Kelly!!!!! COngrats on ur Second, way to go!!

I have been really conscious of my nutrition plan going into my first 50 m (obviously I will make my share of mistakes but trying to keep them to a minimum :-) especially the fuel cuz I heard it's hard to rebound if u bonk, so the game plan is Early & Often with my fuel!!


Recover well :-)

kelly said...

Thanks, Bob! Yeah, pay attention to your fuel needs at the 50. It is really important. I can eat pretty much anything in training, but when racing,it is a totally different ball game. Eat something or take a gel long before you think you should. Oh, and don't forget the salt tabs. You will do awesome!

Anonymous said...

wow Kelly! so very very very proud of you!!!! Happy we could hang out for dinner that night after your run. You still looked Mahhhvelous by the way!
;O)

Lisa B said...

Congrats, Kelly! WE'LL remember that you came in 2nd! :) Nice job.
-Lisa

kelly said...

I enjoyed dinner too, Shawn. Thanks!

kelly said...

Thanks, Lisa!!!

Carey said...

Kelly,
Great job in your race this weekend! Love the quote ("If the word quit ...") and am going to borrow it for my blog. Yes, Mt. Whitney was quite and adventure; looks like you have plenty of adventures yourself! Hope to see you out on the trails soon (I'm looking to move to Boulder in the Spring so I'll be closer to all of you West Coasters).
Love your blog and will favorite it!
All the Best,
Carey

kelly said...

Thanks for the note, Carey! I look forward to reading more of your running adventures. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

2nd and 7th overall? WOW Kelly. I can't wait to see how you do at Wasatch.