Saturday, March 17, 2007

Passing On

Last Sunday I lost my cousin in a head on car accident. He was only 43. He was my cousin and I didn't even know him. He worked at the Safeway that I shop at everyday, and I didn't even know it. I hadn't seen him since we were really young. His own Father died in a similar accident at 46 and we had lost touch. I have thought of him many times over the years, but that was about as far as it went. I feel sad that we never connected. It just shows how life is so short. Here one day and gone the next. My heart breaks for his Mother and younger brother. I can't imagine losing a child or my siblings. It just about killed me when my own Dad died at the too young age of 60. He was an alcoholic and died after a short illness related to his drinking. When you ache with sadness, it is like a giant fist is squeezing the inside of your chest and then later, when all the crying is done, it just feels empty in there. I think of my Father everyday, and I still miss him terribly. Let's treat everyday like it could be our last. You just never know.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Oh, Kelly...I lost my nephew in a car accident a bit over 2 years ago...he was 24. I raised him when he was a baby, he was my little brother and like first-born at the same time, he was my friend whe he was 10 and I was his confinder when he was 20...it was such a tradegy, still is.
I am sorry for your loss, I really am.

kelly said...

Olga, thank you so much. I am sorry for your loss too. 24 is much to young to die. You never forget, but the pain does ease a little with time. Thanks so much.