Thursday, August 28, 2008

An empty nest and a happy heart


Our trip to USC went well. It was sad, but Courtney was excited about her new adventure. When we arrived and went to register she said, "Well, Mom, I can't believe this is my new home." Oh, to hear that was really hard. I told her that her home will always be in Santa Rosa.

Matt and I spent the night in Santa Barbara and had a nice dinner on the pier. The next morning after breakfast we headed home. It was weird coming home to an empty house.

Suzanna won CCC 100 last weekend in Washington. She was 8th overall and first woman. Her amazing time was 23:06:13! Fellow Wasatch team member Brennen Wysong and Monica Ochs finished in 25:36:50 and 26:52:36 respectively. Fellow blogger Steve Ansell finished in 27:38:17. CCC is a beautiful, low key 100 miler. I recommend it to anyone looking for a beautiful but tough race.

It has been HOT HOT HOT here in Sonoma County the last few days. Our upstairs bedroom is the perfect setup for heat training. I am dripping sweat as I type this. Tomorrow I am running 18 miles in Armstrong Woods. Karen and I will sweat it out as it promises to be another hot one tomorrow. I got a pair of Muzuno trail shoes this afternoon, but after walking around the house in them, I think they may be too narrow. I am bummed because I was hoping to run the 18 miles in them. I guess I will have to try another pair. I have been running and loving the Brooks Adrenaline ASR shoes. I hate to try something else, but I am going to take a risk......

On the weekend of Sept.13-14th, I am pacing my friend Tamara Johnson at Angeles Crest 100. Suzanna is pacing Dan Williams. We are going to have a blast pacing them. I haven't been on that course before, so I am excited to see it. Both Tamara and Dan are great runners and it will be fun to see how they do. I just might have to put it on my bucket list. Ha!!

Winning is great, but sometimes just completing what you set out to do is enough.

2 comments:

HappyTrails said...

I have liked the Asics Trailsensor-:-). I tried the Mizuno trail shoe and it didn't have quite enough support for technical trails, for me, at least. Happy shoe shopping!
Kathleen

kelly said...

Thanks, Kathleen. I may have to try them. It's hard to find the "perfect" running shoe. I need a lot of support so they might be just right. I will let you know.