Friday, August 15, 2008


One of the greatest secrets of life is having patience - knowing when to do what, kinda like the song says, "you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, and know when to run."

Today Suzanna and I ran a 12 mile loop in Annadel. It was a beautiful morning and we had fun catching up and trading stories. She is getting ready and gearing up for Cascade Crest 100 mile in Washington. It is a tough 100 miler but I know that she will do very well there. It is on August 23-24. Cascade Crest was my 2nd 100 and it just about did me in. I hadn't prepared myself for all the mountain climbs and I was really inexperienced. I would like to go back again and see how I could do now.

Leadville 100 starts tomorrow in Leadville, Colorado. I haven't run Leadville and unfortunately, with the problems I have had with altitude, it is doubtful that I ever will. That totally bums me out because I hate to think that I have a weakness that is serious enough to keep me from doing something that I really desire to do. I have made peace with that limitation and I know that there are several great 100's that I can shoot for. So many races, so little time. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

4 comments:

HappyTrails said...

I love this picture!!! Congratulations on your win at the Headlands 50 Race - awesome! You can be thankful you didn't run at Leadville this year as the weather was yuck. Does the lupus affect you more at high altitude? Don't fret about not doing Leadville - there are so many other great,fun, and scenic races you can do (and win!)! What brand skirts are your pink and green???
Kathleen

Mechelle said...

Hi Kelly, Thanks for the comments about my blog! I read your blog consistently and am always impressed by your accomplishments. WOW.

I'm feeling okay, I have been racing a lot of short races lately and having trouble recovering. I have a new doc through U of M in Ann Arbor, I figured if I was gonna fight this thing I better get someone that wants to fight it with me and not someone that thinks my couch is a good place for me to be.

One of these days, when I stay up late enough, don't be surprised if I give you a call.

kelly said...

Hey Happytrails...thanks so much. Maybe it is the Lupus that is the problem at high altitude. I'm not really sure, but I will have to research that! It would be a good excuse anyway! My skirt is from runningskirts.com. They are great but sometimes it takes weeks to get one. Thats a bummer about them. Take care.

kelly said...

Hey Mechelle,
I could call you too. You could leave me your number in a note to my email address. That might be easier. I would love to talk to you. I am glad that you seem to be doing well. Yeah, we don't need Doctors that recommend couch sitting for the rest of our lives! Keep on keeping on!