Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Live, Love and Enjoy Today

This afternoon I received a phone call from my oldest child, Caleb. He is in Cancun vacationing with a few of his Fraternity Bro's. His voice scared me as his tone was quiet. He started out by saying, "Mom, I just wanted to tell you that I love you very much". He then told me that he had just witnessed a 21 year old guy that had just drowned in front of him. He described the terribly disturbing scene, ending the tragic story by saying that the young man's Mother and family were crying and screaming over their loved one while he lay on the sand. My heart is bleeding right now for that poor man's family and the life that was lost today. As a Mother, I can feel his Mother's pain. As I took a short, easy run today, I could hear his Mother's cries. I prayed for his family. I was sad that my son had to witness that horrible tragedy. I can't imagine losing a child. I love my kids so much, that I can't imagine living through a loss like that. I thought of Caleb, 22 years old, my first born, my perfect, loving son. I thought of my two daughters, bright, loving, perfect children. God picked me to raise and love them. I am so blessed to have these three kids. I am so thankful for the joy and love they have given me. The unconditional love I have for my children is so big, so strong. It is all so encompassing. I never knew this kind of love until I was blessed with their lives.

Remember, how precious life is. We are not guaranteed tomorrow. Love, live and enjoy today. Hug your children and tell them that you love them. Tell them again. And again, and again. Life is short... I was reminded of that today.

6 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Life is short..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yup, it is.... very sad news about that kid :-(

Meghan said...

Kelly,

Thanks for your support over on my blog. I think you're running the Headlands 50 this weekend, so I wanted to shout out a good luck wish to you. Good luck!

This story is tragic, and thank god for that your son is alright. Thank you for the reminder to live life to its fullest and to be greatful for all that we have right now.

Good luck again this weekend,
Meghan

HappyTrails said...

A Skirt Girl after my own heart!
Thank you for your kind words regarding my mom. I am glad to have found your blog - you are an inspiration! I will look forward to learning lots from your blog as I progress as a trail runner. Have a fun race!
Savor every wonderful day we are gifted!

Valerie said...

Kelly

you made me cry
you are such an awesome person!
you are such a wonderful and loving mom!

love ya, Valerie

kelly said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sometimes we need a little reminder about how precious our lives are. Have a wonderful day.

Doodlestreet said...

My heart just sunk when I read, first, about Caleb having to witness such an absolutely terrible thing, and then about the poor family. What a tragedy for them to have to suffer. It struck me when you talked about how you felt, from a mothers point of view. No parent should ever have to see the ending of their child's life. I'm quite sure when that happens, part of the mothers (and fathers) life ends right along with them. My mom has lost two of her sons. One was only 7 when he died, and the other just 32. I'm always amazed by her strength and ability to move forward, although I know a part of her heart feels the emptiness of that loss.
Caleb calling you right after that happened certainly shows the enormous amount of love and admiration he has for you.